Thursday, April 16, 2009

Metal Riot = Thomasin Durgin

Thomasin Durgin, aka Tomi, is the metalsmith behind Metal Riot. She is one of our newest Etsy Metal members and we are proud to have her on our team.

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?
I live in Memphis, TN. I was born in NH and have also lived in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and Maine.

2. How did you get started working with metal?
I started making jewelry with beads and hardware parts over 20 years ago, using cold connections. I finally took my first metalsmithing class 18 months ago.

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?
I have recently become addicted to bezel setting, and my latest pieces include some beautiful agates and jaspers.Crazy Lace Agate and Silver Necklace

4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?
Modernist jewelry from the 50s and 60s, nature, and urban environments as well.

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?
I have my MFA in Fiber Art and still make quilts as gifts and do a little crochet. I also do mixed media work, and am currently working on a series of small sculptures using wire, wood, and paperclips.

You can visit Tomi's flickr and etsy for more examples of her work.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>