Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"On Creativity" with Cynthia Del Giudice

We are starting a new blog series "On Creativity". Each week will feature one or more of our members and their perspectives on keeping their creativity alive.

This week we are talking to Cynthia Del Giudice

What inspires you?

Too many things to list inspire me, the key here is that I have to be in a certain place in my mind and soul to let these things inspire me. In other words, inspiration comes mostly within me, and not so much from outside sources.

How does your design process work? How do you come up with new ideas?
It depends. Sometimes ideas come all of a sudden (many times in the middle of the night), and sometimes they come by chance while I'm experimenting with certain materials or techniques.

How do you stay motivated?
That is hard to control, but recognition certainly helps a lot. It might be from running a successful business, from feedback from friends and colleagues, or from getting a piece accepted into a book, gallery or museum.

Do you ever find yourself in a creative rut? If so how do you get out of it?
I get frustrated when things don't go as I plan or ideas stop coming. I sometimes get a little panicky thinking I won't get good ideas to keep going. I try to stop and do something else I enjoy doing and enjoy life in general. Visiting museums, looking at art, reading books, enjoying the outdoors helps.

Do you make other things besides jewelry?
Of course! I also eat and sleep! and...(never mind)
Creatively speaking, I also paint (once in a while) and do small horse sculptures with soft steel wire.
I also love gardening and improvised cooking.

Sterling Silver Foldformed Ring II
Sterling Silver Fold Formed Ring II

This piece in particular came from experimenting with fold forming. I had bought a cool book on this technique, and tested many folds and shapes shown in there. After I was done with the exercises I started to experiment and find my own thing. I usually take a material or technique and think "well, but what if..." "what if I do this instead of this", "what would happen if I added this step/fold/shape, etc". And then when I end up with a cool shape I have to design around it to make it wearable (or somewhat wearable). More questions are asked "would this make a good ring?" "how do I present it?", etc.

1 comment:

Lisa-Maladylis said...

you know, when this post came up, every time I tried to look at it it asked me for a name and password each time. it says.... A username and password are being requested by http://etsymetal.com. The site says: "metalforum I can still read it by closing it but should it be doing this ? Love the blog !

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>