Monday, June 23, 2008

Ashley Akers Jewelry


Today we are featuring Ashley Akers Jewelry. Ashley creates beautiful forms that are accented with colors and intriguing shapes and stones. Have a look!

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I'm a Texan since birth. I was born in Houston, raised in Denton, where I attended college, and have lived in Fort Worth with my husband since 2000.

2. How did you get started working with metal?

My dad showed me some jewelry making techniques in high school, I think we soldered a twisted piece of copper wire into a ring. He had dabbled in jewelry making in college and is a talented woodwork himself. I remember telling my high school guidance counselor that I wanted to make jewelry, but I don't think she quite got it. I didn't get to study metals until my sophomore year of college when I took my first jewelry and metalsmithing class and declared that as my major. That was in 1994 and I have never fallen out of love with my craft.

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?
I am absolutely in love with my new Multi Pebble Ring


It is something I had been thinking of for a while and finally got around to making.

I also really enjoyed making some collaborative pieces with my mom, Connie Akers. They incorporate some fiberwork that she made.





I have also been experimenting with polymer clay, and hope to create more designs like these soon.







4. What inspires you?
I am inspired by my materials, I love playing with pebbles and gemstones until I find a pleasing combination. Making work also leads to inspiration for new work.

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?
As I mentioned, my mom is a fiber artist. I have a fondess for sewing myself, but hardly make time to do so. Though I was inspired by a dress that I saw in a movie and hope to make one soon. I studied watercolor painting in high school, and really loved it. My husband always asks why I don't paint anymore. I just can't seem to put the jewelry down!



You can find more of Ashley Akers Jewelry on her website, Etsy shop, and Flickr! Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>