Thursday, August 18, 2011

Project Runway Season 9 Episode 3 results





Project Runway Season 9: Episode 3 Go Big or Go Home

The Project Runway Challenge:
The designers were asked to design a piece for a model on stilts for the first ever outdoor runway show.For our EtsyMetal Translation:Since this challenge was all about going over the top, this week make it BIG, over the top, larger and crazier than you would normally do, but still trying to keep it wearable and fashionable.


"Copper, Brass, Sterling Silver & Garnet

We decided that since this was a team episode we would team up as well. Rachelle made the "big" Chain and Mike made the "big" pendant."

Elizabeth of ESDesigns
"These are something I've been wanting to make for a while, but probably the final version will be a little shorter. "
Guest Submission by Malodora
"This BIG bracelet is made from polymer clay. It weighs a mere 9 ounces."


Kerry Alice from twigsandheather
"Super sea glass! These are pieces from my favorite beach, Tudor beach, in Nahant MA."


Heather of twigsandheather

"Tall yet very lightweight, kinetic ring."
Go big you say? not a problem... Wearable? fully... Fashionable? meh...depends on your definition.
I've been waiting for an excuse to play big with plexiglass, and this was a prime opportunity to do so. The challenge inspired me to finally get around to piercing, heat polishing, molding and generally getting acquainted with this new (to me) material. I woke up monday morning with punk rock tunes (as usual) and this design floating in my head.Angelic Upstart NeckpieceAugust 2011Plexiglass (pierced, heat polished, shaped), cotton, various metals.


"it's more comfortable to wear than I thought it would be for such a large ring.... "


Thomasin of Metalriot
" I carved the agate from a slab using my trim saw, hand tools, and sandpaper and then I set it in copper. "



"I made this from some of the leftover pet supplies from last week! I cut a large (7x6.5") hexagonal shape from birdcage liner. I painted it with encaustic waxes and added a photo and some raffia in the layers. Punched in the eyelets, hung some old enamel pieces from the bottom. I made the cording from rubber tubing and finished it with a handmade copper clasp. "


L. Sue Szabo
" i am already the "queen of big"! i had to really go over the top to make it bigger than i would normally. Here are my foot long earrings- all hand fabricated of sterling, no cold connections. Ombre patina- "



Kirsten Dunbow of Kismet Designs
"So I took a bit of that circusy inspiration from the stilts and the show. I think of the little wires twirling around like acrobats."



"These earrings are long, almost down to your shoulders long. I wanted to convey that long-legged look of the stills that were used in this week's challenge. "



Sarah Breivis of JuJubySarah
"Not exactly metal, but I was stumped!

Large wood chain links with hand dyed silk ribbon. 34" in length, the large wood links are about 1-1/2". "


"
Sterling silver, 24K yellow gold plated."



"I was thinking about stilts and long appendages, so I made a ring for a person with fingers of unnatural length. "


"Copper. This was really fun to make. And even though it seems pretty big, somehow I feel like it's just not big enough! "





Rebecca of Adobe Sol
"A BIG Ring! Featuring a huge faceted flashy Swarovski crystal set in sterling silver and copper."





And another guest submission from Ledi Jorge.


Project Runway Season 9: Episode 4 Design a piece for Nina Garcia

The Project Runway Challenge:
The designers were asked to design a day to night outfit for Nina GarciaFor our EtsyMetal Translation:Make a piece of jewelry for Nina. There was a scene where she was going through jewelry at Marie Claire. Also she notes that she likes streamlined, modern looks. Whatever you do, don't bore Nina!

2 comments:

Leidi said...

Hi everyone, this is my piece for this challenge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leidijorge/6054563610/in/photostream

I love these works specially the wings, so beautiful!

Initial Charms said...

Some people may just be amazed by the size of the jewelry but I know some of my friends who prefer just chunky big pieces.They are worn to attract attention and the pieces here are mind blowing.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>