Friday, September 18, 2009

The Next Etsy Metal Jewelry Challenge: Project Runway Season 6-Episode 5: "Newspaper!"


Here are our fabulous "nine" EtsyMetal

participant entries from last weeks'

"The Customator" theme!

But first, for those of you who are just stopping in for a peek, EtsyMetal is holding a fun freestyle Jewelry Challenge that is coinciding with Project Runway episodes. Every Friday we will post the video snippet (see bottom of this post) of the latest PR challenge, then we post all the submissions from the previous weeks challenge. (below)

#1~ Thomasin Durgin “Cosmic Sprout”
Customator picks: “ring-wood-organic/nature”

Tomi says, "My challenge was to make a ring incorporating wood and a natural or organic theme. I painted a wooden bead and set it like a pearl with balled silver wire. I am calling it Cosmic Sprout, as it's more space age organic than earthy organic." Tomi’s Flickr.



#2~ Catherine Chandler “untitled”
Customator picks: “ring-fabric/thread-upcycled/green

Catherine says, “My ring is made from recycled silver scrap (with exception of the base and bezel), and upcycled vintage material. I was inspired by my Great Aunt Dorothy, who the material once belonged to, as she was a contessa in Italy and wore fabulous costumes. The ring fits between two fingers, rather than around one, to give it a more modern aesthetic, and is very comfortable. I wanted to create something that could be worn to a gallery or gala event and be noticed (similar to the goal for the models in the episode).” Catherine’s Blog.


#3~ Kathryn Riechert “Tribal Necklace
Customator picks: “necklace-leather/fur-tribal/ethnic”

Kathryn says, “This necklace is a twist on a traditional strand of pearls. It features freshwater pearls, chrysoprase beads, and leather. I cut the leather into leaf shapes and placed one inbetween each pearl. A green bead adds a splash of green. This necklace can also be worn flipped the other way around, where only the leather and pearls show.” Kathryn’s Blog.



#4~ Shannon Conrad “Vine and Leaf Bangle”
Customator picks: “bracelet-organic/natural-steel”

Shannon says, “Vintage steel "leaves" and coral "flowers" have been riveted to a heavy sterling bangle. Sterling silver "vines" are woven around the bangle for additional visual interest.” Shannon’s Flickr.



#5~ Nina Gibson “untitled”
Customator picks: “tiara/hair ornament-glass-industrial/steampunk”

Nina says, “I have glass cabochons - one of my absolute favorite materials to work with - and for the sake of steampunk, I focused on black. The floral cabochons I have seemed too soft and feminine to work with this theme and when I noticed the faceted one sort of looked like a bug eye, I got excited as I had picked up the vintage brass flies the day before. They just had to go together. This is the first time I've made a barrette and making the mechanism to snap in and out of hair was a good lesson in construction for me. I see more barrettes in my jewelry making future.” Nina’s Blog.

#6~ Beth Cyr “untitled”
Customator picks: “ring-aluminum-victorian/byzantine”

Beth says, “Part of my goal has been to create pieces that all work together and still look like me. When doing a little research on victorian or byzantine jewelry, I thought that my organic vine collection might work fine as 'Victorian" with the lacy and tendril-y look.For the aluminum - we had been talking about how to treat the metal underneath clear stones and one suggestion was aluminum foil. I thought the textured effect of tightly crinkled foil would give an extra dimension to the ring. I am really happy with the effect” Beth’s Blog.

#7~ Delias Thompson “untitled”
Customator picks: “ring-plastic-upcycle/green

”Delias says, “The seed beads are old plastic beads from a bracelet my sister made me a long time ago. The ring band is upcycled from an old ring that was sitting on my work bench that I screwed up so I cut out the fold where the stone would have sat. I upcycled wire from my scrap box for the wrap.” Delias’s Blog.



# 8 ~ Victoria Takahashi “Patience”
Customator picks: “bracelet-wood-industrial/steampunk”

This was a very diffucult and challenging challenge for me this week. It is a disassembled and reassembles music box. I had it set in my mind I needed functioning parts for the steampunk aspect. Well I aborted this project about 5 times. But my saint and unreasonably patient bf kept prodding me forward and telling me not to give up and saying you can do it, one thing at a time. Well. If it wasn’t for him I would not of, so thank you honey. I named this “Patience” as it took a lot of it. I learned a lot from this one and it was all worth it!
to see a short video of the music box, and past PR pieces here.



#9~ Sara Westermark “Nostalgia Cuff”
Customator picks: “bracelet-victorian/byzantine-bone”

Sara says, “Sterling Silver, 18k bezels, Fossilized Bone and Diamonds. I did some research and this hinged style of cuff was quite the rage in the Victorian Era. I used the same square wire reinforcements on the edges to add to the strength. Sara’s Blog.



and one lovely GUEST submission!
Customator picks: "brooch/pin-wood-tribal/ethnic"


Now for Episode 5: Jewelry Challenge-Video snippet "NEWSPAPER!"



OK designers! WOW, this weeks challenge is the most straight forward one yet! I am adding one element to this one, pre-printed book pages can be used as well for this one. So all we need to do is incorporate some newspaper in a piece of jewelry and voila! Can't wait to see all your crazy creative creations! Now, "Carry On!"


*guidelines for guest participants:
The pieces you submit should be pieces that are made specifically for the weeks show. Please then post your links in our comment area, then cross-post this to your blog, Flickr, Etsy, etc. And please tag your photos this week with "EMJC-PR6.5-Newspaper". Currently we post your name with a link to your piece on our blog. If we get more participation from our lovely guests we will start posting pictures of your pieces on the blog too! We can't wait to see what you will come up with! Remember, the deadline for submitting your link is always on Fridays, 12 noon, Pacific Standard Time.

6 comments:

Lora Hart said...

I'm so loving these challenges! I'm working on a metal clay professional challenge of my own, so I don't have time to participate, but if you're still at it in Spring I totally will.

This weeks pieces are particularly wonderful. Such a great team you have.

Victoria Takahashi said...

Thanks Lora!
I have no idea what the future holds!?
I can't wait to play with you again.
The team is really amazing me with these challenges and I am so tickled at ALL the freaking AMAZING pieces that are coming out of the woodwork! I just love all the creative energy of these challenges!

sophie (duckduckgoosestuff) said...

oh now, I think these are my favourites yet.
love love love.
aMAZing!

Amanda Conley said...

GREAT work!

Victoria Takahashi said...

its Wednesday!
I hope we have a few more guest participants this week!? :D

Tiffany Nelson said...

So I got finished with this a little early so I went ahead and did a second. Here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tffnynelson/3952285090/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tffnynelson/3951505497/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>