Friday, July 18, 2008

Asymmetry


Lynette Andreasen, of Asymmetry, is an amazing artist that hails from Arizona. In addition to her pieces on Etsy, she excels at hollow form pieces, and has been exploring working in new mediums as well. You can find more of her work in her Etsy Shop, as well as her Blog.


1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I am from Tucson, Arizona, but have lived in the Phoenix area for 6 years now as I have been attending school at Arizona State University.

2. How did you get started working with metal?

I got started working with metal when I first started college. I wanted to take the metals class but they wouldnt let you unless you were a metals major. I was political science, but had been planning on changing to something else anyway. So I changed my major to metals so I could enroll in the class and ended up falling in love.

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?

My favorite pieces right now, are the pieces in which I incorporate embroidery into the metal. I love combining the two materials...seeing how different they are and then bringing them together. I think its a really beautiful combination of hard and soft. I also like how I can bring color into the work that way. I wish I could do the embroidery pieces all day everyday!


4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?

In my work I explore themes related to human connection and interaction. My goal is to cause both the viewer and the wearer to reflect on the connections created by casual and intimate interactions between individuals. Everyday, people experience physical, emotional and circumstantial exchanges with others. I am interested in the imprint or traces these exchanges inevitably leave behind. Sometimes the traces are physical, other times they are emotional. Sometimes the impact of an interaction is obvious, while other times that impact is not easily seen or readily understood. My work is inspired by the consequences and imprints left behind by the human connections I see around me. I am inspired by relationships, memories, heirlooms, emotions and sentimental objects. Artists that inspire me include Melanie Bilenker, Diem Chau, Jennifer Angus, Jum Nakao, Peter Callesen, Cornelia Parker and SO MANY more. I also am often inspired by my materials. The shape of a scrap of metal, a found object, or something I see in an everyday context often inform the design of my work.


5. Do you have any other artistic interests?

In addition to metals, I also love printmaking, fibers and woodworking. I love to work mixed media and incorporate many materials into my work.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>