Thursday, September 18, 2008

Siren Jewels


Melissa, of Siren Jewels, creates beautiful pieces of jewelry using a variety of metals and stones. You can find more of her work in her Etsy Shop, and learn more about this wonderful artist through her Website.

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I currently live in Olympia, Wa. After collage I moved to San Francisco on a whim, met my husband and ended up staying for about 10 years. I am originally from Upstate NY (Saratoga springs area).

2. How did you get started working with metal?

It was actually a mistake, I took a "metalworking" class thinking it was going to be metal sculpture with a big fat blow torch. It turned out to be jewelry making. I fell totally in love.


3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?

Hmm.. That's a hard one. Id have to say the anticlastic pieces are my favorites. I love transforming a flat, lifeless piece of metal into something fluid and organic. I'm also totally enamored with gemstones! I love big making stone cocktail rings. I will be adding more of them to my shop for the fall/winter.

4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?

Inspiration comes from everything, simple organic shapes, fashion, music, etc. My favorite sculptors are Louise Nevelson and nature artist Andy Goldsworthy.

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?

I love architecture and decorating. It's always been a dream to design my own home. Someday I will.


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>