Friday, October 16, 2009

The Next Etsy Metal Jewelry Challenge: Project Runway Season 6-Episode 9: "Sparkle, Shimmer and Shine"

But first, here is our fabulous "six" EtsyMetal
participant entries from last weeks' "Wedding" theme!
LAST week our participants were asked to design and make a piece that would be fit for a bride to wear on her special day, whether it be fancy or casual it’s up to you! Hmmm, maybe your bride dislikes white? Or maybe she or he loves to be traditional...

For those of you who are just stopping in for a peek, EtsyMetal is holding a fun freestyle Jewelry Challenge that is coinciding with Project Runway episodes. Every Friday we will post the video snippet (see bottom of this post) of the latest PR challenge, then we post all the submissions from the previous weeks challenge. (As seen below)
#1~ Kathryn Riechert “earrings”
Kathryn says, “I made these earrings using sterling silver and freshwater pearls. I used my new tiny stamps to add text to the earrings. They say, 'AND THEY LIVED' 'HAPPILY EVER AFTER'. The earrings are super shiny and have lots of movement.” Please see Kathryn’s Flickr here!

#2~ Thomasin Durgin “Not your Mothers Pearls”
Tomi says, “I chose pearls because they are traditional, and designed a modern sterling silver pendant made of three individual pieces strung on a steel cable necklace. The pendants are removable and can be worn in any configuration. Just one of these pendants strung on a simple silver chain would make the perfect complementary bridesmaid gift, and they will be available for purchase in my Etsy shop.” Please see Tomi’s Flickr here!



#3~ Victoria Takahashi "I do”
This necklace I built like I build my mobiles, I start with an element and work around the first initial thought. I started with a focal point and I wanted to use pearls, then it collaged itself together rather seamlessly this time for me, it just wanted to be. My necklace quietly says to me, “Will you keep me and cherish me until death do us part?” I say, “I do.”
It is all hand fabricated, then oxidized Sterling Silver and Freshwater Pearls with a large clear faceted Quartz drop, it is inscribed on the back, “until death do us apart” Please see more of my EMJC-PR challenges here on my Flickr!

#4~ Nina Gibson “Rustic”
Nina says, “I have been intending to make a set of wedding rings for some time now and bought these rough, uncut diamonds a long time ago. I love them and have finally put one into a ring that could be an engagement or wedding ring or both!” To read more about these rings and her own personal engagement story please see Nina’s blog!


#5~ Shannon Conrad “Friendship, Love and Loyalty"
Shannon says, “Since this challenge was about repurposing a wedding dress, I decided to re-work a classic symbol of marriage. This piece is based on a Claddagh - a traditional Irish wedding ring. The hands and the crown were hand fabricated - sawed from Sterling sheet. The crown features fine silver balls and 2 bezel-set Rubies and one Pearl. The heart was sand-cast from a vintage plastic bead.” To see more views of this necklace, please see Shannon’s Flickr!



#6~ Beth Cyr “Eclectic Bride”
Beth says, “I used Sterling, Fine, and Argentium Sterling Silver, 14k Gold”To read more about this piece, please see Beth’s blog here!

We have 2 familiar designer guest submissions this week!

(left) Tiffany Nelson says, “Amethyst cabochon set in Sterling Silver accented with a Sterling leaf, vines, and pods. A cut out swirl in the back allows light when possible.”

(right) Jo Hollingsworth says, “I went back to my roots in ceramic sculpture and crafted this little pot out of hammered Sterling Silver. And if I was getting married tomorrow, this would be featured front and center. It's graceful, warm, and comforting to the touch, not to mention a bit unexpected - it's very, very me. And in the end, that's the whole point, right?”

"Thank You Tiffany and Jo for your wonderful submissions!

**guidelines for guest participants:**
Please read this every week as there may be small updates and changes. The pieces you submit must be pieces that are made specifically for the weeks show. Then post your links in this comment area, and cross-post this blog post to your Blog, Flickr, Etsy, etc. And tag them with "EMJC-PR.” Currently we will post your name with a link and a picture of your piece on our blog. Remember, the deadline for submitting your link is always on Fridays, 12 noon, Pacific Standard Time.
Thank YOU! We can't wait to see what you will come up with!

Video Snippet for next weeks 6.8
"Sparkle, Shimmer & Shine!" challenge!

Designers! It's so exciting! This week’s sPR challenge was to make a stage show stopper! A sparkly, shimmery, shiny outrageous piece to catch the attention of everyone!

"So to streamline this for our means, This weeks challenge is to, make something that will simply be Sparkly, Shimmery &/or Shiny, and then add a little extra push out of your comfort zone just to make it a little extra special."

I cannot wait to see your glittery eye catching creations!

Please see the video snippets for more ideas to inspire you.
Mr. Bob Mackie has a definite vision in mind, do you?
“Now carry on!”

4 comments:

Victoria Takahashi said...

Hi its Saturday and I just clarified this weeks challenge a bit, here it is.

"This weeks challenge is to, make something that will simply be Sparkly, Shimmery &/or Shiny, and then add a little extra push out of your comfort zone just to make it a little extra special."

Amanda Conley said...

really fantastic pieces!

Victoria Takahashi said...

We had “one” sparkling guest designer submission this week!

Cory Howard made a Sterling Silver and faceted Morganite ring!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32712223@N04/4037820638/
Thanks for playing Cory!
I hope you play next week too!

Unknown said...

Thnks for sharing this beautiful post.I think traditional irish jewelry always help in remind your true love.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>