Friday, November 21, 2008

Cynthia Del Giudice



Cynthia Del Giudice is an inspiring metalsmith, hailing from Argentina. It is a blessing to have her as part of Etsy Metal! Cynthia uses a range of mediums and strives to use items that are sustainable, found, or up-cycled. For more of her work, check out her Etsy Shop.


1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina to an American father and an Argentine mother. I have lived in both countries, and have chosen to live in a rural home in the Argentine Pampas at the moment.


2. How did you get started working with metal?

I have been engaged in the arts throughout all my life, and while I was taking a sculpture class in L.A., I started welding sculptures with an arc welder. I found working with metals to be fascinating. Years later I took a basic jewelry metalsmith class and began designing and making jewelry, buying tools little by little, and selling my pieces to friends and family. When I came to Argentina, I continued working on metal, and was thrilled to discover Etsy, which has been a bless, because I am able to sell everywhere in the world from my remote area.




3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?

Some of my favorite pieces include my plastic fused pieces, which are made with recycled grocery bags. They are of course, eco-friendly, which is always good, and are original, and very “wearable”. I am also working on some new pieces at the moment which I haven’t listed yet, but will soon. They include an unusual “found object” with a tribal feel, with lines and textures, which I find fascinating.


4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?

I like the abstraction, spontaneity, and drama of Abstract Expressionist artists. It is my favorite art movement. Basically anything that moves me inspires me, and I am pretty sensitive, so I am bombarded by inspiration. I find having limited tools, materials, resources, and overall knowledge pushes me to be more creative and resourceful.



5. Do you have any other artistic interests?

Absolutely! I like all kinds of art. I like to paint, when I have the time. I do horse sculptures with soft hay wire. I am learning to tango, and I like to do creative meals, which may also be an art. I love music, and have 2 musician boys in my life. I love photography, and gardening (does that count as art?).

1 comment:

Robin Marie said...

Hi! I'm not actually a member of Etsy Metal, but I am a metals student at SUNY New Paltz. I'm going to be studying abroad in Argentina in the spring, and I'm very sad to be leaving my metals family for those months. I'm excited to see this interview as it reminds me that there are folks like us everywhere!

Beautiful work!

Robin Marie

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>