Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekly Review - Alligator Skin



I love this stuff. I only got it recently, but have quickly found that it that it helps to protect my fingers in just the way I need. I was hesitant about getting it because I really like to be able to 'feel' everything. It took a little experimenting to find what was most comfortable for me - wrapped enough to protect, but not too much to lose all sensation. I use it mostly when I am finishing up ring castings. Its great for gripping when sawing off sprues. Its nice to know that if I slip, my naked finger won't get cut, and the slight stickiness of the 'gator skin help to hold on to the ring as well.

When I'm finishing the insides of the rings, they quickly heat up. At least with my fingers a little protected, I can grind/sand/polish for longer before I have to move on to a second ring to let the first one cool down. Not only are my little fingers protected from cuts and burns, it also helps save some time! Before I used it, at the end of a finishing day my fingers would be so sensitive from essentially being slowly burned for hours. Now they are just fine! I've seen photos where they wrap it all the way down past the top two knuckles. I didn't like that as much, so I just make little finger tips. That way I can easily slide them off if I need to. I got mine from Rio Grande, and Gesswein carries it too.

2 comments:

Jesse Danger said...

I just got a package of this stuff last week, it is 100% amazing! My fingers were sooo sore from all the tiny pieces I was trying to polish and hold on too.

Maureen Bz said...

I love alligator skin-
I always have a collection of well used "artificial fingertips" on my bench. it's even handy to use as emergency padding for my earphone buds!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>